As I sit and write today, I’m wrapped in a blanket looking out onto a drizzly, gray day. A perfect day for soup. This kind of weather is perfect for warm comfort food, like soup or chicken pot pie. When I ran across a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup on one of my favorite blogs, Chef in Training, I knew I had to try it.
While soup typically is thought of as less than healthy because of its sodium content, the benefit of cooking from home is that you control the ingredients. Therefore you control how healthy you make it. I always want to feed my family nutritiously and most days it’s easy to do with delicious meals. And for that reason the occasional splurge isn’t a problem. Fortunately this soup doesn’t need to be enjoyed just occasionally. It’s both nutritious and delicious.
It’s also fast and easy, win number three in my book.
Before I started anything I turned on the oven to preheat to bake up my pie crust croutons. Of course, these are optional, but they really do take this from a good chicken soup to a delicious pot pie-ish bowl of yum. I used a store bought crust for the sake of time, but you could easily use your own. I rolled the crust out and used my handy dandy pastry wheel to cut it into roughly 1-inch pieces. They browned up nicely in the oven and tasted delicious with a spoon full of soup.
- 1/2 single crust pie crust, homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into bite size pieces
- ⅓ cup flour
- 5 teaspoons reduced sodium Better than Boullion*, dissolved into 5 cups of water (I heat water and whisk Better than Boullion in until dissolved)
- ½ teaspooons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded or chopped chicken, from rotisserie chicken or leftover
- Cut Pie crust into bite size pieces. Spread on a cookie sheet lined with foil and bake according to directions until pieces are golden brown in color. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large pan heat butter and olive oil until butter melts. Add add onion and carrots. Cook on medium for about 10 minutes, until they soften and begin to brown. Add the flour. Cook for another minute and then add water. Stir until smooth. Add poultry seasoning, salt, and chicken. Bring to a boil. Serve and garnish with pie crust pieces.